FROM REPURPOSING TO REMEDIATION

            As I've already mentioned, at the beginning of the course when my professor laid out the projects that we would create over the course of the semester, I decided to create a storyboard for my repurposing project so that I could create a children’s book for my remediation project. After completing my storyboard, I realized that producing a children’s book from it wasn’t really a remediation at all. And after hearing that most of my peers’ remediation projects were going to be digital, I was excited to create something digital: a medium that was truly foreign to me. I didn’t want to just put my repurposing project into a digital format; I wanted to create something that was designed specifically for a digital medium and was most effective in that format. In an in-class writing workshops, one of my peers showed me a video style on YouTube called “Draw My Life.” Normally in "Draw My Life" videos, people draw out the events of their life on a whiteboard, speed up the video and then tell their story over their drawings. In my case, I would draw out the illustrations from my storyboard on a whiteboard, speed up the video and tell the story of Chloe, Jennifer, Fin, Twister and Flick. I originally wanted to draw the illustrations in Photoshop on a tablet and create a screen-recording that I could speed up. I wanted the final project to look something like this:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

But after ordering a stylus from Amazon, begging my roommate for her iPad and visiting technical support to learn about Photoshop, I realized I couldn’t execute my idea. The iPad was too old to run Photoshop, the operating system was too old to allow for other Photoshop-like programs to download and I couldn’t upgrade any of the iPad software. So, I hurriedly rented out a camera, booked a room with a whiteboard and set to work on a traditional “Draw My Life” video, an example of which can be seen here:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Timing was the hardest part of creating my video. I had to figure out how quickly to draw so that when I sped up the video, I could talk at a normal pace. And certain drawings corresponded to more text than others, so my pacing was not always even. I had a lot of fun in iMovie adding transitions, choosing my background music, altering it so the music matched the events of the story and adding sound effects. My remediation project is like nothing I’ve ever created, and as much as I would’ve liked to hold my very own book in my hands, I’m much more proud of this video that I would’ve been of a bound children’s book.

FINAL PROJECT

REMEDIATION PROJECT